Sunday, April 5, 2009

Yam Gnocchi...You Say Ricotta, I Say Potato


When I need something rich and a total carb and butter load, I turn to Gnocchi. Or in this case, I had too many root veggies rolling around and had to use them up.

Some like potato. Some like ricotta. I like a combination of both. Or a combination of what veggies I have running amok in my kitchen. Beets, yams, sweet potato, turnips, and parsnips all work well. It is also a great way to use up extra leafy greens such as kale, chard, collard greens and spinach. When that is the case for me, I steam then process in a blender or processor and strain out the excess moisture.

I have no recipe for mine so here are a couple of basic but sturdy recipes from Epicurious.com


Potato Gnocchi

For this batch I used yams, sweet potatoes, russets and ricotta.

First I formed a soft tender dough until it felt right and rolled into little ropes. Next I cut the rope into pieces about the length of the first knuckle of my index finger to tip.

Next, I rolled them into balls.


And then from there rolled them on the back of a floured fork. Here is my little army awaiting the boiling water.

I like mine boiled and then pan fried until brown and crispy. To this batch I added some chopped apple sausage.

It was the perfect comfort food!

2 comments:

Shane T. Wingerd said...

I concur, Gnocchi is the perfect comfort food. :)

Cameron said...

I have been looking at sweet potato gnocchi recipes and ran across your blog. I had never thought about combining it with apple sausage, but it instantly clicked and sounds wonderful! I can not wait to try it!